Wednesday, November 3, 2010

booked worm

Growing up, my parents exposed me to the world of books. Some of the first few books I read, as far as I can remember, were The Three Billy Goats Gruff, Jack and the Beanstalk, Hansel and Gretel, The Little Mermaid, The Pied Piper of Hamelin, The Emperor's New Clothes, Oliver Twist, and Ben Hur. The stories and kept me interested and in want of reading more books.

During my elementary years, I began reading more books since there was a library accessible to us. I would spend my free time to reading books aside from playing games with my friends. Sometimes, I would sneak a book out of the library and bring it to class and put it on my lap and read it during classes. Maybe that is why I did not get most of the grammar classes that our teacher was teaching us since I was not paying that much attention.

Anyway, it was also during my elementary years that I started reading the Hardy Boys books. I was drawn by the mysteries and investigations they conducted. Because of my fascination in mysteries, I even ventured to reading Nancy Drew books when I finished the Hardy Boys books in the bookshop where I rented books. However, as I grew up and learned, I got tired of reading these kinds of books because the mysteries had become "predictable". So I searched and began reading other books such as those by Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, John Grisham, and Robin Cook. One of the books that kept me up all night (just to finish it) was Robin Cook's Outbreak. However, during the proliferation of games on the onset of the digital age, my attention to books waned. I began spending more of my time with Dune, Quake, StarCraft, CounterStrike, Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Final Fantasy, Ragnarok, and many more.

Later in life, after I finished my studies, I realized that since I had abandoned my time with books and even with newspapers, I had become ignorant of the things of life. My knowledge became limited to the worlds within the games I played. I may be armed with the ways on leveling up fast and upgrading my weapons but these were not the weapons I needed in the world outside cyberspace. Though requiring a lot of patience and endurance, I resolved that I would start my way back to reading books.

It's time to hit the books..

No comments: